Karneid Castle stands perched dramatically on a steep rock face overlooking the historic Tyrolean town of Bozen in northern Italy.
The core of the castle stems from about 1200 CE and stands on the ruins of an earlier watchtower. The original builders are unknown and over the centuries many families owned the castle, the most prominent of whom were the Counts von Liechtenstein-Kastelkorn who occupied Karneid from 1386 until 1761.
In 1884, after lying nearly abandoned for more than a century, Karneid was bought and restored by Baron Ferdinand von Miller a successful Bavarian artisan & entrepreneur. Today it is owned by his descendants and is one of the last intact, privately owned medieval fortresses in South Tirol. The castle plays an important role in the life of the local community and is partially open to visitors and residential guests in the summer.